Whether you are a home hobby and craft enthusiast, someone looking for the right “soft tool” for your cabinet job, or a full-size commercial furniture manufacturer, you’ve come to the right spot. Are you an industrial distributor to the woodworking trade? We do what others can’t, and we can help set you apart from your competition.
Since 1930, Mednik Riverbend has been a leading supplier to the woodworking and furniture industry. Our years of experience translates into the right wiper for the right job. We are the Midwest’s largest recycler of clothing and textiles. Our production of over 10 million pounds of sustainable wiping materials in 2018 yielded the largest and most substantial offering of wipers in years. Benefit from our huge size when you pick from our incredible selection of products that can produce the results you desire. For gluing, staining, tacking, and finishing needs, we have the right wiping and staining products for you.
Save Money, Get Results
Gluing is a messy job. Many wipers get thrown away after a single use— so why spend a lot of money on that? We have a selection of low-cost, one-time-use wipers to wipe away that excess glue: recycled terry washcloths, smaller cut knits, or remnants that can be economically used and pitched but still do the job right the first time.
Why spend a lot of money on a more expensive wiper only to throw it away?
Let’s talk about staining. It’s much more efficient to wipe stain on woodwork with a rag than it is to brush it on. Wiping is fast—almost as fast as spraying—without the downside of cleaning the spray gun. Wiping is every bit as effective in all situations. The basic rule for getting good results with any wood stain is to apply a wet coat and wipe off the excess before it dries.
We understand it’s tempting to use a sprayer to cover large surfaces quickly. However, by the time you follow up with a stain wiper, areas will have dried, leaving behind blotchy wood. It’s better to work small areas and wipe as you go. If you have oil-based stains (which dry slower), brushing or spraying large areas may work, but lacquer- and water-based stains simply dry too fast. You won’t have that problem when you apply the stain with a lint-free cloth.
The Right Wipers For All Your Woodworking and Staining Needs
- Tack cloths: To ensure a smooth finish, use a tack cloth to prepare a dust-free surface after sanding, before painting, and between coats. Tack cloths are extremely sticky, so wear gloves and unfold the product to get the most out of the cloth. We offer a nice selection of standard tack cloths in poly-bagged individuals, bulk, or economy roll for bigger jobs.
- Staining pad: A small terry towel or a lint-free knit wiping cloth folded into pads are great for staining applications. The pad will hold the excess liquid and is absorbent enough to keep messy blobs from forming on the wood surface. To ensure a smooth finish and less re-dipping into your canister of stain, do yourself a favor and take the time to prepare a good pad. Fold it neatly, avoiding as many odd edges as possible. It is important to note that staining pads soaked with stain, linseed oil, and/or solvents may catch fire if improperly discarded. To avoid this, immediately place the soaked pad in a sealed, water-filled metal container, and dispose of it in accordance with local fire regulations.
- Cheesecloth: Bleached white, 100% cotton cheesecloth is great for staining. Since it’s a thinner material, it’s easier to fill the wood grain and cover your surface better. To use, simply cut a piece about one yard in length, bunch it up or make it into a staining pad, and start wiping stain on the wood surface. Again, gloves are a must.
- Old school sustainable recycled white tee knits: Recycled, washed, white tees cut to wiper size are perfect for staining. Getting about six wipers to the pound, these are a great economical alternative. They are absorbent, white, soft, and have a high percentage of cotton. They are good to go right out of the box.
- THE BEST WE HAVE: 3110 MEWA: The. Very. Best. Our top-of-the-line new white cotton knit mill end. They’re square cut, soft, non-abrasive, washed, and ready to go. It’s the preferred staining rag for both home and commercial users. There are no seams, its softness leads to non-scratching detailing, and its pre-consumer sustainable textile material makes it smooth enough for even application. They are perfect for staining with no scraps or waste.
Mednik Riverbend offers the woodworking world sustainable choices for every project and budget. Keep us in mind and browse our wide selection of products that can help you truly produce that one-of-a-kind family heirloom. We are a distributor looking to grow your business! With our 100% money back guarantee, you have nothing to lose. Give us a try.